Chiropractic care is a branch of medicine pertaining to the health of the spine, nervous system and musculoskeletal system. Chiropractic doctors use spinal manipulation and other techniques to address the underlying conditions that are responsible for symptoms like back pain, neck pain, and chronic headaches. Chiropractic care is generally practiced free of the use of medications or invasive therapies and treatments. Instead, patients are encouraged to adopt healthier lifestyles and eating habits to coincide with chiropractic adjustments and therapeutic exercises. Patients who follow the instructions of their chiropractors often experience less muscle tightness and overall pain.
Did you know…
that the use of chiropractic can be traced back as far as 2700 B.C.? Archeologists have discovered ancient writings from China and Greece that detail the use of spinal manipulation in an effort to alleviate lower back pain. Even the great Greek physician, Hippocrates, wrote extensively about his endorsement of spinal care. Today, chiropractic care is used around the world for the treatment of various diseases and conditions of the musculoskeletal system and nervous system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I a candidate for chiropractic treatment?
The only way to know if you are a candidate for chiropractic treatment is by consulting with a chiropractic physician for a complete clinical assessment. If you are not a candidate for chiropractic care, or if you require medical treatment beyond the scope of chiropractic, you will be referred to the appropriate specialist or practitioner.
What should I expect at my visit to Heritage Chiropractic?
- Completion of paperwork to allow the doctor to familiarize himself with your health history and the condition for which you desire care.
- Consultation with the doctor to discuss the condition(s) which prompted you to schedule your appointment.
- Examination by the doctor to evaluate your symptoms and to determine if chiropractic care is appropriate in your case.
- The purpose of your first visit is to allow the doctor to establish a clinical impression of your condition, to determine if chiropractic care might benefit you, and to assess whether further diagnostics are necessary.
- Please plan on being at our office for approximately 1-1/2 hours for your first appointment
- The doctor will discuss your clinical and x-ray examination findings with you and let you know if any additional testing or medical referral might be necessary to fully assess your condition.
- At that time, the doctor will recommend a plan of treatment which will help you to achieve your health-improvement goals.
- Any questions about your condition, its treatment, and its prognosis will be addressed.
- Patients find this two-visit approach desirable because it avoids an extremely long first visit and gives them time to formulate any questions for the doctor about their condition.
- Occasionally, a patient’s pain is so acute that first-day treatment is provided
ROUTINE TREATMENT VISISTS
- After the diagnostic and explanatory services which are provided during the first two visits, treatment visits typically require 20-30 minutes unless rehabilitation has been recommended; in that case, 40-60 minutes would be required
Will I need to follow any special instructions after my chiropractic appointment?
Your chiropractor may advise you to adopt healthier habits. For example, he or she may suggest using a back support for desk work to support a healthier posture. Other recommendations may include specialized shoe insoles, custom foot orthotics, home exercises, stress reduction, and/or nutritional supplements.